The HI96812 portable refractometer converts the % Brix of a wine, juice or must sample to °Baume. This conversion is based on tables found in the Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, 18th Edition. One °Baume is approximately equal to 1.8% Brix and 1% alcohol when the wine is fully fermented. The HI96812 is an easy to use tool for winemakers for measuring sugar in grapes or must, in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for wine sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on sucrose solution
- 0 to 28°Baume range with an accuracy of ± 0.1°Baume
The HI96812 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96812 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96812 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book Standard for a percent by weight sucrose.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays °Baume and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Sugar Content Range 0 to 28 °Baume Sugar Content Resolution 0.1 °Baume Sugar Content Accuracy ±0.1 °Baume Temperature Range 0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F) Temperature Compensation automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F) Automatic Shut-Off after three minutes of inactivity Battery Type/Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Dimensions 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) Weight 420 g (14.8 oz.) Refractometer Light Source yellow LED Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Ordering Information HI96812 is supplied with battery and instruction manual Notes Enclosure Rating: IP65
Customers also purchased:
Digital Refractometer for % Brix and Potential Alcohol (% V/V) Analysis in Wine, Must and Juice - HI96813$175.00
Digital Refractometer for Potential Alcohol (% V/V) Analysis in Wine, Must and Juice According to EEC - HI96816$175.00