Soil pH and HI98168 GroLine pH Meter
The measurement of pH in agricultural activities is very important due to the influence it has on the growth of the plant. Soil can be acid, neutral or alkaline, according to its pH value. Most plants prefer a pH range from 5.5 to 7.5; but some species prefer more acid or alkaline soils. Nevertheless, every plant requires a particular range of pH, for optimum growth
Besides being supplied with a unique pH electrode made for soil analysis, the HI98168 has the Hanna's unique CAL Check™ feature that alerts the user to potential problems during the calibration process. This is a very important since it is likely that the probe will be coated with soil. This coating can easily lead to errors in pH measurement. By comparing previous calibration data to the current calibration, the meter will inform the user, with display prompts, when the probe needs to be cleaned, replaced, or if the pH buffer might be contaminated. After calibration, the overall probe condition is displayed on screen as a percentage. The probe condition is affected by both the offset and slope characteristics of the pH electrode, both of which can be found in the GLP data including with the readings stored in the meter or transferred to a PC.
The HI12923 pH electrode that is supplied with the meter is uniquely designed with a conical tip and a triple ceramic junction for improved performance in soils that have a low moisture content. The probe has a built in amplifier to reduce noise from humidity that can effect the probe connection to the meter. The HI12923 connects to the HI98168 with a quick-connect, waterproof DIN connector, allowing for a secure, non-threaded attachment
The conical tip is made of durable LT glass and allows for direct measurement in soils. In the case any rocks are present an auger is provided to make a hole for the probe.
Triple ceramic junction
The outer reference has three ceramic frits that allow electrolyte to flow at a high rate from the inside of the probe to the outside. A higher flow rate allows for a pH measurement of soil with low moisture
As electrolyte is lost over time it can be replenished to extend the life of the electrode.
Quick Connect DIN Connector
This secure waterproof connector allows for a single cable to be used for both pH and temperature measurements
We believe that buying a meter should be simple. Your GroLine Portable Soil pH Meter is equipped with everything you need for successful testing right out of the box.
pH Calibration Solutions.
Before using your soil pH meter always make sure that your meter is calibrated with fresh buffer solutions and thats why your soil pH meter is supplied with pH 4.01 and pH 7.01 buffers.
Soil Preparation, Electrode Cleaning Solutions and other Accessories
We know the soil science and thats why we provide all the accessories to make your soil testing simple and accurate. Your soil pH meter is supplied with soil sample preparation solution, cleaning solution for soil deposits and ground auger. HI98168 also supplied with calibration vessel and beakers in the rugged carrying case and a USB cable to transfer data to PC.
The meter is supplied with a compact, durable HI720161 carrying case and is thermoformed to hold all necessary components for storage, including the meter and electrode, beakers, auger, soil preparation solution, buffer solutions, and cleaning solutions.
- Ergonomic, rugged, waterproof (IP67) design that can withstand harsh environments
Automatic Calibration :
- The HI98168 can be up to five points including with custom buffers. The calibration buffers are automatically recognized and after calibration the buffer values used are shown on the display
- Alerts user to potential problems during calibration including when to clean electrode and possible buffer contamination.
- Displays overall condition of the pH electrode after calibration that is based on the offset and slope characteristics
- The GLP data can be reviewed at anytime including with logged reading. The calibration data includes date, time, pH calibration buffers, offset, and slope.
Dot Matrix LCD:
- The high contrast, graphic LCD screen is easy to view outdoors in bright sunlight as well as in low-lit areas with the backlight. A combination of dedicated and virtual keys allows for easy, intuitive meter operation in a choice of languages.
Log on Demand:
- log-on-demand up to 100 samples (100 pH/100 mV)
- sealed opto-isolated USB connected to PC with micro USB cable and PC running HI92000 software
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- HI98168 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
Automatic buffer recognition:
Low battery indicator, and selectable automatic shut off.
- Auto shut off : user selectable: 5, 10, 30, 60 min or can be disabled
pH Range -2.0 to 20.0; -2.00 to 20.00; -2.000 to 20.000 pH pH Resolution 0.1; 0.01; 0.001 pH pH Accuracy ±0.1; ±0.01; ±0.002 pH pH Calibration up to five-point calibration, seven standard buffers available (1.68, 4.01, 6.86, 7.01, 9.18, 10.01, 12.45) and five custom buffers pH Input impedence 10¹² Ohms mV Range ±2000 mV mV Resolution 0.1 mV mV Accuracy ±0.2 mV Temperature Range -20.0 to 120.0 °C (-4.0 to 248.0°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.4°C (±0.8°F) (excluding probe error) Temperature Compensation automatic or manual from -20.0 to 120.0 °C (-4.0 to 248.0°F) pH Electrode HI12923 refillable pH electrode with conical tip, internal temperature sensor, quick connect DIN connector and 1 m (3.3’ cable) Logging Type log-on-demand Logging Memory up to 200 samples (100 pH/100 mV) Connectivity opto-isolated USB Automatic Shut-Off user selectable: 5, 10, 30, 60 min or can be disabled Display LCD (back lighted display) Battery Type/Life 1.5V AA (4) / approximately 200 hours of continuous use without backlight (50 hours with backlight) IP Protection IP67 Environment 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); RH 100% Dimensions 185 x 93 x 35.2 mm (7.3 x 3.6 x 1.4”) Weight 400 g (14.2 oz.) Ordering Information HI98168 is supplied with HI12923 glass body pH electrode, HI7004M pH 4.01 buffer solution (230 mL), HI7007M pH 7.01 buffer solution (230 mL), HI7051M soil sample preparation solution (230 ml), HI700663 electrode cleaning solution for soil deposits sachet (1), HI700664 electrode cleaning solution for humus deposits sachet (1), HI 721319 ground auger (1), 100 mL plastic beaker (2), 1.5V AA batteries (4), HI92000 PC software, HI920015 micro USB cable, instruction manual with quick start guide, instrument quality certificate and HI720161 hard carrying case.