Small quantities of silver are bacteriostatic. At times, silver is used in disinfection of pools and spas, as well as in water filters. The presence of silver in water is generally indicative of pollution, mainly from film manufacturers, film processors, and surface finishers. In fact, silver levels are closely monitored in these sectors since its presence can cause discoloration of the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.
The HI97737 uses an adaptation of the 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol (PAN) method to measure silver concentrations up to 1.000 mg/L (ppm). When the reagent is added to a sample containing silver, the sample will turn an orange hue; the greater the concentration, the deeper the color. The associated color change is then colorimetrically analyzed according to the Beer-Lambert Law. This principle states that light is absorbed by a complementary color, and the emitted radiation is dependent upon concentration. For silver determination, a narrow band interference filter at 575 nm allows only green-yellow light to be detected by the silicon photodetector and omits all other visible light emitted from the LED. As the change in color of the reacted sample increases, absorbance of the specific wavelength of light also increases, while transmittance decreases.
The HI97737 has an innovative optical system that offers superior performance in accuracy, repeatability, and the short amount of time it takes to perform a measurement. This compact, waterproof meter is extremely user friendly with a tutorial mode that walks the user graphically, step-by-step, in performing a measurement. The use of a backlit dot matrix LCD allows the use of virtual keys which makes the operation of the meter very intuitive including selecting different units of measure, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
HI97737 is completely waterproof including the cuvette holder that is designed with ridges to protect the optical path from getting scratched by the cuvette and a gasketed battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design fits comfortably in the hand for use in the field or on a table for benchtop use. The LCD is backlit for easy viewing under all conditions.
- LED that generates very little heat
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette
Advanced features including CAL-Check to verify performance and if necessary, recalibrate.
Setup options for meter personalization include date and time format, language, and enabling the tutorial mode.
Log Last 50 Readings
The last 50 readings are automatically stored along with the data and time the measurement was taken.
Tutorial mode for step-by-step instructions to guide a first-time user in how to perform a measurement correctly.
Built-in reaction timer that ensures consistency amongst multiple users.
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97737 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
High Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
High Quality Filters:
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97737 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97737 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation, and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
- The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order conserve battery life./li>
Silver Range 0.000 to 1.000 mg/L (as Ag) Silver Resolution 0.001 mg/L Silver Accuracy ±0.020 mg/L ±5% of reading at 25 Silver Method Adaptation of the PAN Method Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source Light Emitting Diode @ 575 nm Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector Silicon photocell Bandpass Filter Bandwidth 8 nm Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy ±1.0 nm Cuvette Type Round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside GLP Yes Display 128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight Logging Memory 50 readings Battery Type/Life 1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight) Automatic Shut-Off After 15 minutes of inactivity (30 minutes before a READ measurement) Environment 0 to 50 °C (32 to 122 °F); 0 to 100% RH Weight 380 g (13.4 oz.) Dimensions 142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0") Ordering Information HI97737 is supplied with cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvettes (2), 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate.
HI97737C is supplied with CAL-Check standards, cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvette, (2), scissors, cuvette cleaning cloth, 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate packaged in a rugged thermoformed carrying case.