The HI96804 Digital Invert Sugar Refractometer converts the refractive index of a food sample to % invert sugar by weight. This conversion is based on the tables found in the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis) that documents the changes in refractive index with temperature for a percent by weight invert sugar solution. The HI96804 is ideal for the analysis of invert sugar produced from honey, jam, or manufactured from the splitting of sucrose compound. The HI96804 is an easy to use tool for measuring sugar in food samples in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for food sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on invert sugar solution
- 0 to 85% invert sugar by weight range with an accuracy of ± 0.2%
The HI96804 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96804 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the density of a solution based on the compound that is present. In digital refractometry the use of temperature compensation is necessary for accurate results. The HI96804 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book for a percent by weight invert sugar solution.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Sugar Content Range 0 to 85% mass (% w/w invert sugar) Sugar Content Resolution 0.1% mass Sugar Content Accuracy ±0.2% mass Temperature Range 0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F) Temperature Compensation automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F) Automatic Shut-Off after three minutes of inactivity Battery Type/Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Dimensions 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) Weight 420 g (14.8 oz.) Refractometer Light Source yellow LED Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Ordering Information HI96804 is supplied with battery and instruction manual Notes Enclosure Rating: IP65