The HI96821 portable refractometer converts the refractive index of a food sample to g/100 g, g/100 mL, specific gravity and °Baume. These conversions are based on internationally recognized references for unit conversion. The HI96821 is ideal for the analysis of salad dressings, cheeses, condiments, canned and jarred foods, soups, brines and whey. The HI96821 is an easy to use tool for measuring sodium chloride in foods, whether on the production line or in the lab./p>
- Designed for sodium chloride analysis in foods
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- High accuracy measurements in g/100 g, g/100 mL, specific gravity and °Baume
Making a Standard NaCl Solution (g/100 g)
To make an NaCl Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity dried Sodium Chloride (CAS #: 7647-14-5: MW 58.44) directly into a beaker
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
NaCl (g) Water (g) Total (g) 10.000 90.000 100.000
The HI96821 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96821 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96821 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with internationally recognized references which vary based on the parameter being measured.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Specific Gravity Range 1.000 to 1.216 Specific Gravity Specific Gravity Resolution 0.001 Specific Gravity Specific Gravity Accuracy ±0.002 Specific Gravity Sodium Chloride Range 0 to 28 g/100 g; 0 to 34 g/100 mL; 0 to 26 °Baume Sodium Chloride Resolution 0.1 g/100 g; 0.1 g/100 mL; 0.1 °Baume Sodium Chloride Accuracy ±0.2 g/100 g; ±0.2 g/100 mL; ±0.2 °Baume Temperature Range 0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F) Temperature Compensation automatic between 0 and 40°C (32 to 104°F) Automatic Shut-Off after three minutes of inactivity Battery Type/Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Dimensions 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) Weight 420 g (14.8 oz.) Refractometer Light Source yellow LED Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Ordering Information HI96821 is supplied with battery and instruction manual Notes Enclosure Rating: IP65